ALUMINUM DIE-CASTING, AN ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUE WITH DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS
Aluminum die-casting, what is it about?
The Additive Manufacturing technology is used in the die-casting sector for the fabrication of inserts (dowels) with internal conformal ducts for cooling.
The realization of inserts (dowels) with conformed ducts can solve several problems of overheating in the die-casting of aluminum alloys such as:
- Reduction of porosity in the die cast component;
- Reduced use of release agents in the molds;
- Die-cast components with the use of plugs cooled by internal ducts obtain greater density and better mechanical properties;
- Less finishing operations at the end of the die-casting process are required;
- Inserts with cooling ducts allow a reduction in cycle time;
- This cooling mode eliminates metallization;
The advantages of aluminum die casting
All of these advantages result in longer mold life.
3D Metal uses Maraging steel Fe1.2709 for the production of these parts. This is a special steel with great mechanical characteristics that, with an aging treatment, can reach hardnesses of up to 55 HRC with high toughness to breakage, so that the plug can withstand a greater number of hits.